Saturday, February 14, 2009

A week off can hurt.

I recently took off a week from Japanese Study. No reviews, no exercises, pretty well nothing at all. I barely even touched my computer. The reason for this? A few things. First of all, I got burnt out. Studying Japanese EVERY DAY gets to you. Secondly, I started a new job. Normally this would not be a problem. My new job is overnights. This is during my prime study hours. I am now forced to either study while my girls are awake and screaming, or be limited to about an hour of free time between them going to sleep and me leaving for work.

I get 2 days off per week perhaps to do new material, while my days working I will mostly review but I am not sure yet. With my regiment of Anki, Iknow and Revtk, this will surely get a little messy.

A week off of studying has thrown my motivation a bit, the more time you spend away from the language, the more addicting it gets not to look at it, and you lose progress as well. I am getting back on track again, but we shall see how things go for the next little while, I have some meetings about my financials coming up, plus I am moving again soon too. Fun stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Dustin,

    Life can be very cruel, sometimes. We can be tossed about in the air like a snowflake in a blizzard. We just have to work, to earn enough money for the living. In a way, it might hinder our interests we are passionate about. But, please don't let it stop you from continuing your Japanese studies

    Franklin Roosevelt said:"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. "

    Glad to hear that you are getting back on track again. Take a good rest if you really need to. Stay happy and keep smiling. Always remember, there is a group of monkeys in TJP (muahahah) to cheer for you ---- がんばって!

    A very happy valentine to you and Julie. ^_^


    Shirley
    14 Feb 2009 22.16SST

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking I hadn't seen you around in a while. Taking a break is important too. Just figuring out how to balance study, work and kids is a tough enough problem. We're rooting for you though!

    ReplyDelete